Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Walgreens Trip 8/29


As expected, things did not go fully as expected yesterday :).  You guys know I had everything planned out per my post here, but I wasn't really feeling shopping yesterday.  It started with the newspapers.  I went to my closest gas station to pick up the local cheap paper like I always do.  They only had 1 left!  And it was the same time that I usually go on Sundays so I was a bit confused.  I really have no clue where else to get that paper short of going to the distribution center so I broke down and bought two "big city" papers as well.  So I only got 3 papers (I usually buy 5 - $5 total).  Things got a little bit better when one of the big city papers accidentally had 2 P&G inserts.  Anyway, I was feeling slightly down (stupid I know).  I got all the coupons ready, which didn't take long at all, and left.  I got to my favorite Walgreen's and the girl working the cosmetics counter is the best.  She puts most of the RR stuff up front so you don't have to go searching all around.  Well she surprised me with the Carmex cream and lotion!  It's a monthly RR deal - they cost $4.99 and you get a $4.00 RR, so only $0.99!  Well of course I had to have one of each at that price.  There are no coupons that I know of, but still a great deal.  Now, since I spent quite a while chatting with her about the deals this week and how she didn't get her coupons in time because she ordered from a new coupon clipping service, I didn't stop and think through how this would change my transactions.  I was lucid enough to realize I didn't need fillers (the folders) anymore, but somehow I didn't think about the actual money I would be spending.  So let's just say that I spent more out of pocket than I EVER have before at Walgreens.  But it works out ok in the end, especially given that I usually spend under $1 each week.  Plus it proves that not everyone has a fantastic week.  So here's what went down:

Transaction #1:

(2) $3.50 - Softsoap Body Wash
- $1/1 from September All You magazine (I only had one and I couldn't print the printable $0.75/1)
= $6.00, received a $5 RR, so $0.50 each

$1.99 - W Perfection Tampons
= $1.99, received a $2 RR, so FREE

$2.00 - Carmex Moisture Plus Lip Balm
= $2.00, received a $2 RR, so FREE

$4.00 - Breathe Right Strips
- $1.50/1 from 4/11 RP
= $2.50, received a $4 RR, so $1.50 money maker!!!

$4.99 - Carmex Lotion
= $4.99, received a $4 RR, so only $0.99

Total before coupons: $19.98
Used (2) $4 RR's and (2) $2 RR's.
Total after coupons and RR's: $5.48 (this is really just paying for the Carmex lotion that I COULD have paid for with the breathe right RR if my brain would have been on!)
_________________________________________________________________
Transaction #2:

$2.00 - Carmex Moisture Plus Lip Balm
= $2.00, received a $2 RR, so FREE

$4.00 - Breathe Right Strips
- $1.50/1 from 4/11 RP
= $2.50, received a $4 RR, so $1.50 money maker!!!

$4.99 - Carmex Cream
= $4.99, received a $4 RR, so only $0.99


Total before coupons: $10.99
Used a $5 RR and the $2 RR from the tampons in transaction #1.
Total after coupons and RR's: $2.49 (again, I could have paid for the Carmex cream with the breathe right RR if my brain would have been on!)
___________________________________________________________
Totals for the day:

Total before coupons: $30.97

Paid with $19 in RR's and $7.97 cash = $26.97.

Received $27 in RR's.  So I pretty much broke even.  Thus, everything works out OK in the end.  And it's a good lesson for me.  Next week I'll make sure my brain is on when I shop!!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention the coupons I got from the lovely catalina machine!  I don't get them that often even though I always try to check out in cosmetics with my debit card (that's the magic combination).  I got:

$1/2 W Perfection Tampons 18-54 count (NOT the ones producing the RR this week) expires 9/26/10
$2/1 Schick Xtreme3 expires 11/21/10
$3/1 Prevacid 24HR product expires 11/21/10

0 comments: